Discussion questions for a Christmas speaking lesson. Вопросы для обсуждения на английском языке на тему Рождества. Ключевая лексика по теме выделена жирным шрифтом.
Дополнительно: Англоязычный планер на год
Step #1: Look at the pictures:
- Describe the pictures.
- Which of them do you like more? Why?
Step #2: Discuss the questions:
- When do people in your country celebrate Christmas?
- What do people usually do on Christmas day in your country? Who do they spend the day with?
- What are the traditions or customs you need to follow during Christmas?
- Do you put up a nativity scene in your house? How long does it take you? What is included in it?
- Is Christmas a religious day for you? If so, what kind of religious activity do you take part in? If not, what does Christmas mean to you?
- Do you attend any special religious services over the Christmas period? Which ones?
- Besides Christmas, there are other special days around the end of the year, especially for different religions. Can you think of some?
- Do you usually give Christmas presents? Who do you give them to?
- Will Santa bring you a Christmas present? What would you like him to bring you?
- What kind of meal does your family eat at Christmas time?
- Has Christmas become too commercialised?
- How early is too early to put Christmas decorations up? When is it appropriate to take decorations down?
- Do you put up a Christmas tree at your house? Is it real or fake? Which is better?
- Are there any special foods or drinks you enjoy at Christmas time that are unique to the Christmas period?
- Do you enjoy Christmas movies? What’s your favourite Christmas themed movie?
- What is the Spirit of Christmas?
- Sometimes people complain they are «expected to be happy» over Christmas, and this expectation annoys them. What do you feel about the «obligation to be happy»?
- When does the «Christmas period» start and end in your country? How many holidays, if any, do you have over the December-January period?
- Has the internet changed the way you send Christmas greetings? How so?
- Do you let off fireworks during the Christmas period? What do you think of this practice?
- Do you enjoy carefully wrapping presents or do you feel it is a waste of time?
- On what day are gifts exchanged in your country? Do you know anything about traditions in other countries?
- Is there anything stressful about Christmas?
- Is Christmas better in the cold Northern Hemisphere or on a beach in the Southern Hemisphere?
- Have your feelings towards Christmas changed since you were a child?
- What do you usually do on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
- What do you dislike about Christmas?
- Do you enjoy singing Christmas carols?
- If you could go anywhere during Christmas, where would you go?
- Did you believe in Santa Claus when you were a child?
- How old were you when you found out that Santa Claus doesn’t exist? How did you feel?
- Do you think there will be a White Christmas this year? How will you feel if it snows for Christmas? What will you do?
- Do you know anyone who has a birthday at Christmas? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a Christmas birthday?